Chicken Littles And Their Climate Fears - Such Chicken Shits - "Climate Doomers" Think It's Too Late Even If The World Listens To Their Climate Messiah, Greta Van Derp
Add Reply
AlleyCat
2022-01-10 02:40:22 UTC
Chicken Littles And Their Climate Fears - Such Chicken Shits

=====

Climate Doomers Think It's Too Late Even If The World Listens To Their Climate
Messiah, Greta Van Derp

Filed under: greta, kids, wacky

Earlier this month, novelist Jonathan Franzen nicely encapsulated the doomer
manifesto when he wrote in The New Yorker that "The climate apocalypse is
coming. To prepare for it, we need to admit that we can't prevent it."

https://10daily.com.au/views/a190924tlcek/climate-doomers-think-its-too-late-
even-if-the-world-listens-to-greta-20190924

By Jarryd Bartle

Mon 23 Sep 2019 10.54 PM

"You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words."

Oh yeah... Greta had HER childhood stolen. SHE rides around in a million dollar
yacht, billion dollar trains, and 100s of thousand dollar cars, and HER
childhood was stolen?

https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/10285501_a3
_jpeg5d266ea41a41a2cd1ca7d7d91876da17

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FDlsBwMXsAI5DyQ?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFuFnFSXIAIx_Nf?format=jpg&name=900x900

That was the indictment from climate activist Greta Thunberg, whose impassioned
speech at the United Nations Climate Action Summit reflected the thirst for
change demanded by the millions of young people who marched for action on
climate change last Friday.

But for a certain subset of survivalists, academics and pessimist
environmentalists, the fight has already been lost.

For 'climate doomers', the coalescing of harmful social and environmental
factors mean that global warming, overpopulation and political division are
sowing the seeds of societal collapse.

READ MORE: 'You Stole My Childhood': Emotional Greta Thunberg Puts World
Leaders On Blast

Earlier this month, novelist Jonathan Franzen nicely encapsulated the doomer
manifesto when he wrote in The New Yorker that "The climate apocalypse is
coming. To prepare for it, we need to admit that we can't prevent it."

But what is motivating these climate pessimists, and do their claims hold up to
scrutiny?
PREPPING FOR COLLAPSE

The Subreddit 'Collapse' provides a nice window into the doomer mind as
anonymous users exchange dire environmental headlines as well as tips for
survival when it all comes down.

Their cynicism isn't without some merit.

Experts have called climate change an 'existential threat' to humanity. And the
forward to one (controversial) report by Breakthrough Australia's National
Centre for Climate Restoration suggested that there is a "real possibility that
human life on earth may be on the way to extinction, in the most horrible way".

In 'Collapse', users share their heartbreaking plans for the future: "I have an
escape hatch. I have a plan and method in place to end my life at the time of
my choosing," notes one user.

READ MORE: Greta Thunberg Filmed Giving Donald Trump A Death Stare

"I sealed up about 8 months worth of dried foods that'll last 25 years. Six
large containers sit on my back deck," notes another.

What unites doomers is their belief that climate experts are siding too heavily
on the side of hope - whether it's the hope that the world meets the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's goal, limiting our planet's warming
to less than two degrees, or hope that there is a political will to act.
'Doomers" climate cynicism isn't without some merit. (Image: Getty)

A recent UN report noting that climate change is accelerating and that what is
required is urgent and fundamental "socio-economic transformation in key
sectors such as land use and energy, in order to avert dangerous global
temperature increase with potentially irreversible impacts" seems to add
legitimacy to the doom and gloom.

For academic doomers such as Dr Mayer Hillman, Senior Fellow Emeritus at the
Policy Studies Institute, University of Westminster, humanity must choose
between transitioning to a zero-emissions economy immediately (which will not
occur) and the collapse of most life on Earth. Dr Hillman pessimistically told
The Guardian last year:

"The outcome is death, and it's the end of most life on the planet because
we're so dependent on the burning of fossil fuels. There are no means of
reversing the process which is melting the polar ice caps. And very few appear
to be prepared to say so."

ARE THE CYNICS RIGHT?

Many climate scientists and experts have been quick to dismiss the doomer
mindset, labeled 'de-nihilism' by some.

predictions "wildly out of step with reality".

Leah ***@leahstokes

Thanks @NewYorker for publishing this terrible article by Jonathan Franzen
which is so off base it would be laughable if it wasn't so problematic. Love it
when our most prominent outlets give voice to doomsday climate predictions that
are wildly out of step with reality. THREAD.

View image on Twitter

1,799
12:25 PM - Sep 8, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

772 people are talking about this

Whilst global warming is certainly a threat worth acting on, climate experts
are confident that there are achievable goals in emissions reductions that will
avoid the most catastrophic of scenarios.

One of the key things doomers seem to overplay is the significance of two
degrees of warming.

READ MORE: Across The Globe, Millions Join Biggest Climate Protest Ever

Whilst exceeding the IPCC goal increases the risk of some of the harms of
climate change, the two-degrees number isn't some threshold beyond which all
hope is lost.

As climate economist Professor Gernot Wagner noted on Twitter in response to
Frazen's piece: "Yes, 2°C has its uses. No it's not some God-given bright
line."

Gernot Wagner

@GernotWagner

This @NewYorker take by Jonathan Franzen ist indeed horribly off base,
beginning with pretending that something magically happens at 2.000001°C that
isn't occuring at 1.999999°C.

Yes, 2°C has its uses. No it's not some God-given bright line.
https://twitter.com/leahstokes/status/1170734860534714368 ...
Leah ***@leahstokes

Thanks @NewYorker for publishing this terrible article by Jonathan Franzen
which is so off base it would be laughable if it wasn't so problematic. Love it
when our most prominent outlets give voice to doomsday climate predictions that
are wildly out of step with reality. THREAD.

View image on Twitter

75
3:09 PM - Sep 8, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

30 people are talking about this

Even if cynical takes about human behaviour or the ability for our economic
system to deal with global threats is correct, there are at least some silver
linings that pure capitalist greed may tilt towards mitigation: the costs of
renewable energy continuing to decline; increasing uptake by consumers and
businesses; that we are seeing similar shifts in demands towards lower-
emissions products such as electric cars.

Even if the ethical case for decreasing emissions doesn't change hearts and
minds, the blunt economics of it all may do the trick.

Global accords such as the Paris Agreement may have their critics, but the
ability for the global community to recognise and honour climate change as a
problem indicates some willingness for drastic global action. Moreover, calls
for a 'Green New Deal' in Western countries continue to gain steam, providing
political currency to necessary economic and social change.

Thankfully, whilst the doomers would like you to see nothing but darkness when
it comes to climate politics, there is some light through the clouds.

California's Snowiest December On Record (17 Feet)

Duluth Declares First Ever Snow Emergency

Record-Breaking Cold Continues To Grip Western Canada

Northern Hemisphere Total Snow Mass Accelerates To 350 Gig tons Above The 1982-
2012 Average.

Record Cold And Snow Grip Western U.S.

Canada Suffers First -50c (-58f) In December Since 1998

Historic Snowfall Hits Western Japan And South Korea

Record-Breaking Flurries Hit Prince George

"Snow To Pile As High As A One-Story Building" In Parts of The Us

"Red Alerts" Issued In India As Cold Wave Intensifies

Record Snowfall Hits Switzerland

Amid Freezing Lows & Energy Shortages, Europe Struggles To Keep The Lights On

Bhopal, India Suffers Lowest Temp In 55 Years

"Hazardous" Freeze To Hit The Prairies

Rare Polar Stratospheric Clouds Spotted

Europe Forecast A Bitterly Cold And Snowy Christmas

Snowfall Records (From The 1800s) Fall In Nevada/California, Just As New Bogus
Study Claims "No Snow" In 35 Years

Moscow Breaks Multidecadal Snowfall Records

"Tremendous Snow Totals" Hit Sierra Nevada Mountains

Snowiest Greece Since 2004

Snow Chaos In Serbia & The Balkans

Colder & Snowier Winter Headed For U.S. With Incoming ?Polar Vortex?

Record Snow In Austria & Turkey

FMI Notes Sharp Uptick In Snow Mass

Unprecedented December Snow Hits The Pyrénées

Greenland Gained 9 Gigatons Of Snow and Ice On Sunday

Monthly Lows (And Rare Snows) Fall in Hawaii
AlleyCat
2022-01-10 02:44:50 UTC
The 'Climate Dormers Preparing For Society To Fall Apart

An article by a British professor that predicts the imminent collapse of
society, as a result of climate change, has been downloaded over half a million
times. Many mainstream climate scientists totally reject his claims, but his
followers are already preparing for the worst.

That's because they're idiots.

THIS is who you are hurting the worst, with your gloomer doomer mentality,
pussy-boy.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/9ECF/production/_111255604
_dsc02949.jpg

As the last light of the late-winter sunset illuminates her suburban back
garden, Rachel Ingrams is looking at the sky and pondering how long we have
left.

Her hands shielded from the gusts of February air by a well-worn pair of
gardening gloves, Rachel carefully places tree spinach and scarlet pimpernel
seeds into brown plastic pots.

Over the past year, Rachel, 45, has invested in a greenhouse and four bright
blue water butts, and started building a raised vegetable patch out of planks
of wood. It's all part of an effort to rewild her garden and become as close to
self-sufficient as she can, while society continues to function.

Within the next five to 10 years, she says, climate change is going to cause it
to fall apart. "I don't see things lasting any longer than that."

So every evening, after picking up her children from school and returning to
their former council house, she spends about two hours working outside.

"I find the more I do it, the less anxious I am," she says. "It's better than
just sitting in the living room looking at the news and thinking, 'Oh God,
climate change is happening, what do we do?'"

Rachel is unsure about how much to tell her three daughters. "I don't say to
them that in five years we won't be here," she tells me. "But they do accept
that food will be difficult to find."

Every six weeks, she takes her two youngest daughters on an 450-mile round trip
from their home in Sheffield to an organic farm in South Wales, where they
learn how to forage for food. It's vital for them to learn "skills we'll be
able to use in the natural world when all our systems have broken down," she
says.

"I don't think what they're learning in school is the right stuff any more,
given what we're facing. They need to be learning permaculture [self-sufficient
agriculture] and other stuff, ancient stuff that we've forgotten how to do. We
just go to Tesco."

But she's not at all confident her efforts will make much difference, in the
long run. "I don't think we can save the human race," she says, "but hopefully
we can leave the planet with some organic life."
Short presentational grey line

Around a year ago, a video of a talk by a British professor called Jem Bendell
appeared on Rachel's Twitter feed.

"As soon as I saw it, everything seemed to make sense in a terrifying way,"
Rachel says.

"It felt like a bolt from the blue: 'We're all going to die.' I felt it in my
bones that we are at the beginning of the end."

[...]

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-51857722

The Global Average Temperature Dropped 0.29C Last Month - Now Sits At Just
0.08C Above The 30-Year Baseline

School Cancelled In Yakutia, Russia As Temperatures Plunge To -50C (-58F)

Record-Breaking Cold Continues To Grip Western Canada

"Red Alerts" Issued In India As Cold Wave Intensifies

Amid Freezing Lows & Energy Shortages, Europe Struggles To Keep The Lights On

Bhopal, India Suffers Lowest Temp In 55 Years

"Hazardous" Freeze To Hit The Prairies

Rare Polar Stratospheric Clouds Spotted

Europe Forecast A Bitterly Cold and Snowy Christmas

Colder Winter Headed For U.S. With Incoming 'Polar Vortex'

"Unprecedented" Cold Wave Is Hitting Scandinavia

Alaska Suffers "Persistent Record-Shattering Cold"

A Freezing Start To Winter Is "Rapidly Depleting" Europe's Gas Reserves

St. Petersburg's "Deep Freeze" Breaks 1893 Record

Sweden Busts All-Time December Low (-46.8F)

Bethel, Alaska Suffered Its Coldest November in 82 Years

Australia Suffered Coldest Nov Since 1999

Monthly Lows (And Rare Snows) Fall in Hawaii

Record Cold Grips Siberia (-68.3F)

Canada Sees Lowest November Temp Since 2004 (-45.6F)

Low Temperature Records Continue to Fall Across Europe

Australia's NSW Suffers Coldest November On Record

Record Lows Grip Europe

Sweden Registers -37.4C (-35.3F)

UK Schools Forced To Shut, + Bigger Freeze Inbound

Nordic Power Prices Surge On Sub-Zero Temps And Low Winds

Danger To Life' Warning Issued In Scotland

Spain Issues 'Cold Weather Alerts' - Restarts Old Coal Power Plant To Cope

In 2021 (To Date), A Total of 222 All-Time Low Temperature Records Have Been
Broken In The United States, Versus Just The 7 For All-Time High
AlleyCat

AlleyCat
2022-01-10 02:58:42 UTC
Meet The Doomers: Why Some Young US Voters Have Given Up Hope On Climate -
Stupidity?

Politically active young people are often championed as the Earth's great hope
to reverse the climate crisis - but many believe we've already passed the
tipping point

Today's young people can't even count to 4 (common core)

2 + 2 = 5

You think THESE dumb fucks hold the key to "reversing" something that's been
happening, NATURALLY, for the last 172 years?

When Siddharth Namachivayam casts a ballot in Colorado this fall, he'll forego
Democrat nominee Joe Biden, whom he sees as just a "Band-Aid," and instead
support the longshot Green party candidate focused on climate action.

"I guess, yeah, it'd be marginally better if Biden was president, but I don't
think Biden being president is more important than the Green party growing in
the next couple of years," Namachivayam says.

If we continue on our current track, he predicts food shortages, global
economic instability, refugee crises, populist reactionary movements: all the
forces that are already plaguing humanity, intensified. He has little
confidence that the world will do what's necessary to curtail the climate
crisis, and he wrestles with the sheer scale of what needs to happen - such as
disrupting the entrenched economic interests that run counter to disaster
prevention.

"When I think about things like that, I'm just like, 'I don't know what to
do,'" says Namachivayam, a college junior in California.

Generation Z - the cohort born after 1996 - has the most at stake in the effort
to save the environment. They're often championed as Earth's great hope, the
young people whose optimism and activism will help reverse catastrophic climate
change. But while teens and young adults protest in droves, some of their peers
fear the cards are already stacked against them.

Sometimes called "doomers", these deflated young people often insist that
radical, systemic change is the only chance for salvation - but find it
difficult to believe that the world will actually rise to the occasion.

"You're not seeing people who are planning for the future, because the future
seems so precarious and so unpredictable," says Max Bouratoglou, a 19-year-old
student in California, where 25 major wildfires are currently burning.

He believes "enormous devastation" is coming and that the world has accelerated
toward "a climate singularity".

Because of Bouratoglou's position on the climate crisis, he's skeptical of
getting married or having children. "Considering how nihilistic I feel about
the future and how I will be immediately affected, do I wanna rain that burden
upon someone else?" he asks.

Recent events haven't helped: American Gen Zers are living through a collapsed
social safety net during the coronavirus pandemic, a presidential
administration that has played into big polluters' interests, shrinking career
opportunities coupled with a volatile gig economy, and the uphill battle to
tackle structural racism, says Juanita Constible, senior adviser to the Natural
Resources Defense Council Action Fund.

While many fatalistic young people - including Namachivayam and Bouratoglou -
still try to limit their personal contributions to the climate crisis, they've
warmed to the doom and gloom arguments popularized by a slew of outspoken
academics.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/21/meet-the-doomers-some-

Unum
2022-01-10 05:07:55 UTC
On 1/9/2022 8:40 PM, AlleyCat wrote:

https://www.eurasiareview.com/07012022-air-pollution-from-wildfires-rising-heat-affected-68-of-us-west-in-one-day/

Large wildfires and severe heat events are happening more often at the same
time, worsening air pollution across the western United States, a study led by
Washington State University researchers has found. In 2020, more than 68% of
the western U.S. – representing about 43 million people – were affected in one
day by the resulting harmful-levels of air pollution

The study, published in Science Advances, found that such widespread air
pollution events are not only increasing in frequency but also persisting
longer and affecting a larger geographic extent across the region. They have
become so bad that they have reversed many gains of the Clean Air Act. The
conditions that create these episodes are also expected to continue to
increase, along with their threats to human health.

When wildfires and extreme heat occur at the same time, they magnify air
pollution: wildfire smoke increases fine particulate matter in the air and the
heat combines the smoke and other pollutants to create more ground-level
ozone. While in the stratosphere ozone is protective, ozone that forms at the
ground level has long been recognized as harmful to human health. It’s a major
component of smog, and reducing it was a major goal of clean air policies in
the twentieth century. Simultaneous exposure of millions of people to high
levels of both pollutants, ground-level ozone and particulate matter, poses a
substantial public health burden.
AlleyCat
2022-01-10 05:45:22 UTC
Doesn't she pay the bills? Why do you make her pay more?

=====

Biden's 'Build Back Better' will raise energy prices

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-s-build-back-better-will-raise-
energy-prices/ar-AASz0E0

Additionally, BBB expands generous subsidies for wind and solar energy and
electric vehicles that largely benefit wealthy coastal elites. According to
University of Chicago research, most of the ...

=====

Yes, Solar And Wind Really Do Increase Electricity Prices -- And For Inherently
Physical Reasons

One big reason seems to be their inherently unreliable nature, which requires
expensive additions to the electrical grid in the form of natural gas plants,
hydro-electric dams, batteries, or some other form of stand-by power.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2018/04/25/yes-solar-and-
wind-really-do-increase-electricity-prices-and-for-inherently-physical-
reasons/?sh=7442ec4517e8

=====

Five graphs that show how the high-cost wind and solar are driving up Xcel
Energy costs for Minnesotans

Xcel Energy recently requested approval to increase electricity rates from the
Minnesota Public Utilities Commission (PUC). This rate increase, if approved by
the PUC, would increase residential customer bills by $15 to $21 per month by
2024.

https://files.americanexperiment.org/wp-
content/uploads/2021/11/xcelforecastvsactualrates-1024x628.png

https://files.americanexperiment.org/wp-
content/uploads/2021/11/xcelusratesvsrenewables-1024x628.png

https://files.americanexperiment.org/wp-
content/uploads/2021/11/xcelbillsrenewables-1024x628.png

https://files.americanexperiment.org/wp-
content/uploads/2021/11/xcelbillsvusage-1-1024x628.png

https://www.americanexperiment.org/five-graphs-that-show-how-the-high-cost-