A terrible tragedy: Biden US passes 800,000 Covid deaths - highest in the world
Add Reply
buh buh biden
2021-12-31 09:18:37 UTC
The US death toll from Covid-19 has passed 800,000, a once-unimaginable
figure seen as doubly tragic given that more than 200,000 of those lives
were lost after vaccines became available last spring.

The figure represents the highest reported toll of any country in the
world, and is likely even higher.

The US accounts for approximately 4% of the world’s population but about
15% of the 5.3 million known deaths from the coronavirus since the
outbreak began in China two years ago.

What makes boosters more effective than the first two Covid jabs?
Read more
The grim milestone comes as the world braces for rise in cases of the new
Omicron variant, with the World Health Organization (WHO) warning it was
spreading at an unprecedented rate.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters on Tuesday the variant
had been detected in 77 countries and was probably present in most
countries worldwide.

Omicron, first detected by South Africa and reported to the WHO on 24
November, has a large number of mutations, which has concerned scientists.
The new variant is posing a fresh threat as it gains a foothold in the US,
though experts are not yet sure how dangerous it is.

The number of Covid deaths in the US, compiled and released by Johns
Hopkins University on Tuesday, is about equal to the population of Atlanta
and St Louis combined, or Minneapolis and Cleveland put together. It is
roughly equivalent to how many Americans die each year from heart disease
or stroke.

A closely watched forecasting model from the University of Washington
projects a total of over 880,000 reported deaths in the US by 1 March.

The deadly milestone comes as cases and hospitalisations are on the rise
again in the US, a spike driven by the highly contagious Delta variant,
which arrived in the first half of 2021 and now accounts for nearly all
infections. I

Health experts lament that many of the deaths in the US were especially
heartbreaking because the widely available and effective vaccines made
them preventable.

About 200 million Americans are fully vaccinated, or just over 60% of the
population. That is well short of what scientists say is needed to keep
the virus in check.

“Almost all the people dying are now dying preventable deaths,” said Dr
Chris Beyrer, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of
Public Health. “And that’s because they’re not immunized.”

When the vaccine was first rolled out, the country’s death toll stood at
about 300,000. It hit 600,000 in mid-June and 700,000 on 1 October.

Beyrer recalled that in March or April 2020, one of the worst-case
scenarios projected upwards of 240,000 American deaths.

“And I saw that number, and I thought that is incredible – 240,000
American deaths?” he said.

“And we’re now past three times that number.” He added: “And I think it’s
fair to say that we’re still not out of the woods.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/dec/15/a-terrible-tragedy-us-
tops-800000-covid-deaths-highest-in-the-world
1.AAC0831
2021-12-31 17:09:47 UTC
While I'm no fan of Joe & company, I really don't
think Trump would have done MUCH better. Covid is
a sneaky foe, seems to get around any reasonable
(and unreasonable) barriers.

Trump MIGHT have shifted more money in to rapid
vax updates - or not, we'll never know. Joe has
been pretty lax in the tech areas - now there are
long delays for updated vax. Pfizer, mostly on
its own, DID come out with The Pill - but not
in enough quantity soon enough (and it was
developed with Delta in mind). Even the rapid
tests ... well ... with Omicron you may as well
flip a coin - I've seen several sci/tech articles
on that the past few days.

In short, all our anti-Covid measures are like the
border fence - SEMI-effective but no better. Looks
like it's going to stay that way. The virus leads,
we struggle to keep up - sometimes falling further
behind. We ALMOST had Delta licked in the USA, the
graphs show it ... then Omicron.

Viral protease vax ARE in the works - my SCIENCE journal
today has an article on it. I'll pass on anything that
seems relevant. The timeframe is a bit unclear though.
That vax WILL stomp covid - and likely a lot of other
viruses in the same family too.

ANYhow ... Joe's "I am not a crook" moment happened in
the summer when he outrightly proclaimed that we'd
won against Covid - that Dems are magic and GOP are
idiots. Now it's thick stinky mud on his rep and
the mid-terms are gearing up.